Strolling around “la blanca Subur”
We suggest you spending the morning or the afternoon outside of Barcelona, at the town of Sitges. Embedded between the Garraf Mountains, its access by land was always complicated, which favoured its people to open towards the sea. Cradle of great merchants from ancient times, it was during the 18th and 19th century that Sitges became a really active place.
First they left and then, the return of the “Americanos”, great promoters of modernity upon their return. With them came the railroad and with it, the first Barcelonans who came to discover the goodness of its climate. Among them, artists attracted by its special light, as was the artist Santiago Rusiñol, who turned Sitges into his shelter celebrating with his friends the famous modernist parties in El Cau Ferrat.
Artists and holidaymakers made Sitges a cosmopolitan and open town, also famous for its celebrations: the Carnival, the Corpus, the International Film Festival, the Gay Parade, etc.
A walk by Sitges will let us know some of its most famous beaches, as well as the remains of the walled town that was in the Middle Ages, the houses that the “Americanos” built on their return from the colonies or the Paseo Marítimo where the first hotels were built.
The visit to the Maricel-Cau Ferrat museum will reveal how Rusiñol and other artists and collectors fell in love with Sitges, helping to embellish it even more.
- Licensed tourist guide authorized by Generalitat de Catalunya during all this tour.
- The approximate duration of this tour is 5 hours (leaving and returning to Barcelona). From other points of origin, please consult us the timing.
- Transport: A private vehicle is necessary for the realization of this trip as we describe it. If you do not have available transportation consult us. We can put you into contact with some companies in the city who offer services of vehicles with driver.
- Entrances included: Tickets included for the Maricel-Cau Ferrat Museum.
- Optional visits:
- If you want to have lunch in Sitges, there is a wide range of high quality restaurants. We can adapt the total duration of the excursion including the time for a gastronomic lunch in Sitges if you wish.
- Do you know the Bacardi Rum? Did you know that the founder of the house was born in Sitges? Do you want to know the history of the brand and the process of making the Rum? (Subject to availability of schedules by Casa Bacardi).
- Combinable with: Discovering Barcelona, Sagrada Familia and the Eixample, Penedés, Montserrat, Roman Tarraco, The cistercian order in the New Catalonia.