The Penedes is one of the shires of Catalonia, near Barcelona and internationally known because of the production of wine. However, at the national level, it is above all for the manufacture of cava. The capital of the region is Vilafranca del Penedés, a town famous also for the tradition of the “castellers”.
We will visit a family-run winery that wanted to produce ecological and quality wines and cavas instead of the production in large quantities.
We will start with a walk through the vineyards to learn how the vines are nourished and protected in a natural way, without pesticides. We will know their techniques, some of them ancestral, to obtain the best results without the use of chemical products. Then we will enter in the production area to find out how the whole production process is carried out, and then we will descend to the winery to see the place where the wines and cavas are aged. Finally, of course, we will taste some wines.
On the way back to Barcelona we can stop at Vilafranca and stroll along its Rambla de St. Francesc, the Plaza de Santa Maria and the Plaza de la Vila where the most important “castellers” meetings are held.
- Licensed tourist guide authorized by Generalitat de Catalunya. However the interior part of the warehouse will be presented by a technician of the company.
- The approximate duration of this tour is 5 hours (leaving and returning to Barcelona). From other points of origin, please consult us the timing.
- The order of the visit will depend on the availability for the reservation that the wineries have.
- Transportation: A private vehicle is necessary for the realization of this trip as we describe it. Ask us if you need we help you on that. We can give you the contact of some companies in the city who offer services of vehicles with driver.
- Entrances included: Our price includes the visit of the wineries and the tasting of some of the wines produced there.
- Combinable with: Montserrat, Sitges, Tarragona or Santes Creus.